It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:49 pm 

tim_marra wrote:
Anglesey is very good safety wise.

Yes especially on the fantastic annual exiges.com day with its legendary driving standards,...handily there is still x6 places for this years event on Easter Monday!

Anglesey is awesome in the wet or dry. There is really only one place on the circuit (left-hander onto the pit straight) where there's something to hit (the pitwall).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:25 pm 

Benja wrote:
Evoman wrote:
I'm not sure if he's doing tuition but John Lyon is fantastic for learning roadcraft and fast road driving with skill. His approach is pretty straight talking and perhaps not everyone's cup of tea but I came away from that session with so much insight and knowledge gleaned from the master that he is. You will be amazed at the smoothness of his driving, then you have to show you drive and he will tell you in no uncertain terms what is good and more importantly what isn't.

Is John Lyon still going? I had some instruction from him about 15years ago and he was semi-retired then!

I believe he is! It must have been at least ten years ago I had instruction from him one to one in the car. I learnt a lot for sure and I think that's the way he practices, first session is a one to one in the car then if you are deemed worthy you can progress onto more track orientated stuff.

Quite a character!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:40 pm 

Evoman wrote:
first session is a one to one in the car then if you are deemed worthy you can progress onto more track orientated stuff.

Yeah I had same. To be honest I concluded that all that 'yes you're deemed worthy' stuff was a sales tactic to get you to do the follow-on sessions. Must have been because I'm not much of a helmsman these days but 15years ago I was totally shit :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:30 pm 

DaveP wrote:
I think it depends what level you are at and what you are looking to improve.. if you are looking to improve/learn fundamental car control, I would not recommend going on a trackday with a race instructor...

My recommendation would be Don Palmer at Bruntingthorpe... its a perfect environment to start learning and as mentioned, Don is an interesting character and you'll have a great day... some people apparently don't take to him, but I found him great and learnt a lot (stuff that I still remember and use to this day)

Don is my best friends uncle and I’ve met him numerous times over the years. “An interesting character” is a fair description I’d say. His own nephew described him as “f**king insane”. He’s great to share a beer with and has a nack of getting you to analyse yourself without you even realising it.

He’s a good guy.

https://youtu.be/H_PaB0J9AXc