Restoration project

New kid in town ? Say hello to the Exiges.com massive.. Do you have an Exige ? Looking to buy one ? Sold one or just a fan ?
winthattt

Re: Restoration project

Post by winthattt » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:07 pm

That got me inspired so I did a 30 mile retro ride on my Reynolds 653 road bike, fully restored by me and Mercian in Derby. Surprisingly good considering it’s great age, my first proper race bike.

I have a record 53, 39 alloy chainset if it helps your restoration. I’d guess 25 is a good price. However I restored my bike above with new Veloce and it is nicer than the 15 year old Record stuff on my main bikes. Super smooth and slick. Retro is good but brakes and gears have got better.

thommo

Re: Restoration project

Post by thommo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:08 am

Hi Keith, glad to have inspired you . . . project slowed again due to "other things" . Thanks for the offer of the chainset, but I managed to get a Super Record Strada 52/42 in really good condition for £95.
There have been a few bumps along the way; I had to have the steerer milled down by 2 thou to accept the headset but it led to the discovery of a small local engineering firm who did it for a tenner. And , thanks again Lavazza for the offer of help and advice.
With winter closing in it should be the ideal time to get the job finished . . .