It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:43 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:11 pm 

tyre mounting , yellow dot to tyre valve is esential, then careful balancing usually does it, however I used to find my 48's would slip around the front rims on some trackdays under heavy braking so they had to b rebalanced

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:21 pm 

I'm amazed that these Lotus recommended tyres could be so inherently flawed. Do I struggle on & try to get mine sorted, or do I bail, & get 888s??

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:34 pm 

Check the eight marking is correct, if not get them moved on the rim and rebalanced, they should be ok then, when they wear out get 888's ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:07 pm 

What is the eight marking??

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:43 pm 

[quote=C1RVY]What is the eight marking?? [/quote]

Just after the seven marking...

... and before the nine marking.

Get R888's re-fitted under warantee mate! If they cannot balance AO48's they must sort the problem out for you! :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:09 am 

[quote=C1RVY]What is the eight marking?? [/quote]

Sorry weight marking, it is a yellow dot on the tyre

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:19 pm 

I've got Uniroyal Rainsport 2s on mine as it's a daily driver, and it still gets vibration at around 80mph.

When these were originally fitted I had to take it back twice to the guys that fitted them..they couldn't get it right.

Chris Neil Lotus then balanced them and they seemed fine...but it returned.

Had a geo done a while back at Phoenix MotorSport and wheels rebalanced as there was vibration and a pull to the left. Went on the motorway and car was doing the same...took it straight back to Ollie who rebalanced the wheels, but also said that there could be a flat spot on one of the tyres due to heavy breaking or could be down to front tyres being 2 years old.

Anyway, it's still there.

I recently read over on LotusTalk that the wheel wobble is something to do with incorrect torqueing of the wheel nuts!!!

Maybe if someone could find out what the torque figure is for the wheel nuts and apply them it could cure the problem.

Personally I thought that they couldn't be over or under torqued, and that they were tightened until they couldn't be tightened further.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:30 am 

never over tighten wheel nuts, what ever the car.
I torque mine to 70 lbs all round. Only use the car for trackdays and re check wheel bolts at the start, middle and end of the day, before the drive home. As to bolt torque effecting wheel balance.............. just can't see that

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:45 pm 

Wheel wobble is really putting me off using the car at the moment :( The car felt great immediately following the last fitment of A048s, but it only lasted a short while before the wobble crept back in (around the 80-90mph mark).

I'm gonna check the yellow dot position, but other than that I feel inclined to ditch the AO48s come spring.

What are the thoughts on running 888's on the front with AO48s on the rear? Madness? Dangerous? or no probs?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:22 pm 

Try the yellow dot alignment and then try a different wheel balancer as well

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next