Alternators

Even supercars have their flaws..

Re: Alternators

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:05 pm

The mountings on the alternator body are exactly the same, mine was an air-con car but when the EBD manifold was fitted i had to buy the Elise S1 fixtures and remount the alt, it fitted perfectly, only thing i needed to do was to tap the hole to take the adjusting screw.Mine is the standard Marelli unit, as used on the MGF VVC and Rover 200viBTW Even with the QED smaller pulley the alts still cook !![This message has been edited by Phil Davies (edited 09 December 2002).]

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:33 pm

PhilNot sure wot Lotus Motorport sent us then but there was no way it would have fitted to Ric's car. When we phoned them they said "Oh didn't realise it was A/C car, no that won't fit!!!!"I'm confused, Have to wait till Jan 2nd when I get my non Con Air car to compare!!mmm got my non air con car now and your rite same alt just mounted lower down! Guess Lotus motorsport sent wrong one as there was no way it was going to fit!!Dave[This message has been edited by Dave Kelly (edited 13 January 2003).]

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:46 pm

strange !I wonder what is different with the motorsport version then ?Let us known then when you have compared or if you still have it bring it round as i still have both types of mounting brackets!CheersPhil

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:06 pm

Phil, Ment to say the Motorsport one is one made by a company called 'Brise' they were a company that made the machines to test alt. so then decieded to work backwards to make motorsport alts. and starters etc. Won't tell you what the very helpfull guy there said when I told him the sort of rpms we were running them at!!! (think I'd be slung off the BB!!!)Dave

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:22 am

Dave,I can imagine [image]ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image], my rev limiter was set at 8300 rpm [image]ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/blush.gif[/image]Have you looked into getting a bigger pulley for the altPhil

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:39 pm

Yes 'Brise' do an 80mm one which should bring it down to sensible level and still charge at tick over. The other option is the smaller crank pulley, Many people sell a smaller aluminium one as ours are reputed to be about 6lb in weight and this (with the right belt) will do the same job.Elise parts do one but it's the same diameter.Check out a company called Moto-build racing0181 893 4553 or speak to someone at Brise (found them on the web some where!) Found it!! http://www.motorsportfabrication.com/index.htm Check out the pic on the right hand side (80mm pulley)Dave[This message has been edited by Dave Kelly (edited 11 December 2002).]

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:53 pm

I've heard some bad reports on the lightweight aluminium crank pulleys. Apparently the heavier standard pulley is good for damping vibrations which might otherwise do some damage to something or other.Good techincal explanation, eh [image]ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:13 pm

Ah wonder if that was the oil pump drive I read about somewhere and couldn't for the life of me work out why!!Dave

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:12 pm

The damper in the crank pulley absorbs vibrations from the crank, this in turn protects the crank bearings.Dave, it may be the shattering oil pump rotor you are thinking of ? they are only made of sintered metal and some have come apart at high revs.Thanks for link to that larger pulley, i'll have a word with a mate of mine to see if he could make me one [image]ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:06 pm

quote:Originally posted by Phil Davies:Thanks for link to that larger pulley, i'll have a word with a mate of mine to see if he could make me one [image]ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]Watch out Trudy, is what I say [image]ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image]