S1 not starting

Discussion on the K-series engine that powers our car.
mrabaird
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:00 pm

S1 not starting

Post by mrabaird » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:20 pm

Guys, got into the S1 exige tonight to move it out of the garage and it wont start. Ignition lights up and fuel pump comes on, power is coming from the back of ignition but not to the starter solenoid. As I'm new to these, is there a starter relay or something? Has anyone seen this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

User avatar
AndyD
Posts: 3303
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:00 am
Location: No Fing idea ..

Re: S1 not starting

Post by AndyD » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:25 am

There is a starter relay its behind the seats - take the panel off the bulhead ( its held by Velcro ) and the starter relay is the second one down from the top.

If that's ok then it could be the famous immobiliser issue .. although you usually don't get fuel pump working either with that .. unless its a sticky relay in the immobiliser itself ..

User avatar
thommo
Posts: 4066
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:50 pm
Location: Lancs

Re: S1 not starting

Post by thommo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:17 am

I used to have this problem a lot. Often found rocking back and forward in gear sorted it. Alternatively, I used to push out of garage and jump start.
Theory at the time was the movement triggered the engine sensor.
Given my limited mechanical knowledge that could be all bollocks but it worked for me.
Tempting fate here but not had problem recently.

mrabaird
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:00 pm

Re: S1 not starting

Post by mrabaird » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:28 pm

AndyD wrote:There is a starter relay its behind the seats - take the panel off the bulhead ( its held by Velcro ) and the starter relay is the second one down from the top.

If that's ok then it could be the famous immobiliser issue .. although you usually don't get fuel pump working either with that .. unless its a sticky relay in the immobiliser itself ..
Thanks, took the starter relay out and there is no power getting to it. Must be the immobiliser. I have the emerald ECU on it so unless this is immobilising it or would both systems immobilise? Its 60 miles on the trailer to take it to a lotus specialist or could we by pass it?

By pass this with a bridge just to see if starter is working and it wont go. If we go direct to the starter with a bridge it goes ok. Is the immobiliser then and the bypass from elise parts will cure it?

Thanks for the help guys.

seriouslylotus
Posts: 1623
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 10:43 am
Location: East Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: S1 not starting

Post by seriouslylotus » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:12 am

mrabaird wrote:
AndyD wrote:There is a starter relay its behind the seats - take the panel off the bulhead ( its held by Velcro ) and the starter relay is the second one down from the top.

If that's ok then it could be the famous immobiliser issue .. although you usually don't get fuel pump working either with that .. unless its a sticky relay in the immobiliser itself ..
Thanks, took the starter relay out and there is no power getting to it. Must be the immobiliser. I have the emerald ECU on it so unless this is immobilising it or would both systems immobilise? Its 60 miles on the trailer to take it to a lotus specialist or could we by pass it?

By pass this with a bridge just to see if starter is working and it wont go. If we go direct to the starter with a bridge it goes ok. Is the immobiliser then and the bypass from elise parts will cure it?

Thanks for the help guys.
or from me...
http://www.seriouslylotus.com/immobiliser-bypass

User avatar
thommo
Posts: 4066
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:50 pm
Location: Lancs

Re: S1 not starting

Post by thommo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:20 am

thommo wrote:I used to have this problem a lot. Often found rocking back and forward in gear sorted it. Alternatively, I used to push out of garage and jump start.
Theory at the time was the movement triggered the engine sensor.
Given my limited mechanical knowledge that could be all bollocks but it worked for me.
Tempting fate here but not had problem recently.
You'll never guess . . .
Went to start car to give it a wash yesterday. Wouldn't start.Fisrt time in, maybe, a year. Same symptoms.
Rocked back and forth in gear, no joy. Walked round garden, returned , started second turn.
Frustrating little buggers these cars of ours.

User avatar
tim_marra
Posts: 4748
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:56 pm
Location: Cumbria

Re: S1 not starting

Post by tim_marra » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:37 am

How big is your garden Thommo?

User avatar
thommo
Posts: 4066
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:50 pm
Location: Lancs

Re: S1 not starting

Post by thommo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:40 pm

tim_marra wrote:How big is your garden Thommo?
Not that big.
But a short stroll allowed me to chuckle at the stupidity of my earlier post on exiges and to let Mrs T, who was weeding, take the mickey out of me :roll:

mrabaird
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:00 pm

Re: S1 not starting

Post by mrabaird » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:21 pm

Guys, where is the immobiliser. Got the bypass switch but can't find the immobiliser. Is it maybe behind the seats. I'm in the engine bay and can't see it. Thanks

User avatar
jonnyfox
Posts: 8899
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:00 am
Location: Brum

Re: S1 not starting

Post by jonnyfox » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:21 pm

Behind the seats yes
#498

Post Reply