Toyota Accused of deceiving customers

Discussion about general Lotus issues
Podger

Toyota Accused of deceiving customers

Post by Podger » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:36 pm

This affect only Toyota made cars sat the moment ( I believe) but Toyota GB are certainly accused of directing dealers and it's technicians to avoid certain faults until the car warranty had expired, then owners were given a list of faults.......nice!!!! :confused:

IF THE CUSTOMERS DOESN'T MAKE A COMPLAINT , DON'T FIX THE CAR !!!!!

JDS

Re: Toyota Accused of deceiving customers

Post by JDS » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:00 pm

Got to say, thats been pretty much industry standard for quite a while. Didn't used to be, but times have changed and everyones tightening their belts.

Not so much give them a list of faults the day after warranty expires, but if the customer doesn't complain about it, then don't bring it up.

jfk

Post by jfk » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:53 pm

A bit like Virgin internet ..I had two WiFi routers sent out to me to resolve connection issues ..Both failed .
I cancelled the contract and offered to send the routers back ...The call centre operative said " no need , they are all useless,better off recycled !"
I was astounded ....
Got 2 WiFi routers here if anyone wants em !

Podger

Post by Podger » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:49 pm

[quote=JDS]Got to say, thats been pretty much industry standard for quite a while. Didn't used to be, but times have changed and everyones tightening their belts.

Not so much give them a list of faults the day after warranty expires, but if the customer doesn't complain about it, then don't bring it up. [/quote]

I'm sure that your probably correct, but it's most definitely NOT my experience of Audi dealers, main dealers, in two cities near me.Thankfully :/

stevegreen

Post by stevegreen » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Have seen a number of Technical Service Bulletins from Landrover that clearly state issues should only be addressed if the customer complains dispite the fact that the issue should impact all vehicles they know the faulty part is located on.

Of course, with the internet and keen owners, the oposite is now possible, i.e., you can quote the symptoms and get updated parts put on the day before the warranty expires :grin:

Should also add I've seen dealers express astonishment at certain faults stating they have never heard of it before only to be quoted back that there is a TSB from Landrover and the customer knows three other customers that have had the work done at that dealers!

If you don't want to be fleeced by a car dealer then you need to be very cynical about whatever they tell you - by the law of averages some of it will be correct...

JDS

Post by JDS » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:26 pm

Totally agree with Steve. At the end of the day, the maufacturer doesn't want to put expensive replacement parts on the car for free, if the customer hasn't complained about it, noticed that there's an issue.

As far as the Audi dealers go, fair play to them, although not too sure how you would know that your car is 100% as it could be?? You'd be surprised how many TSB's float around that state 'only at customer concern' Many don't find their way onto forums and t'internt.

Its also not unheard of for dealers to be investigated by manufacturer for excessive warranty claims on those TSB's. Could name more than a few that have lost a francise as a result.

Does kind of go against the normal exceeding expectations policy though!!

Podger

Post by Podger » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:55 pm

I won a big legal case against a ' Japanese Motorcyle ' manufacture , after I suffered life changing injuries when the sub-frame failed , due to , 'agricultural welding' to the frame , which failed causing a major incident.

It hit the national press including TV, and they settled out of court ( or on the steps) , but I know they were taught a major lesson. :mad: :mad:

.......and a lot more people in the world had replacement sub-frames fitted FOC , that'll learn 'em !!!!!

JDS

Post by JDS » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:04 pm

Ouch!! That sounds pretty horrific.

Not sure on bike regs, but car ones have really tight recall paths through VOSA in the UK. Not as tight as the NTSA? stuff in the US though.

I think that any dealer/manufacturer ignoring safety critical issues is going to have a bad time if the worst happens. On the other hand, something as simple as the lastest software/firmware reflash of an ECU to cure a known, but unobtrusive and benign, issue, is I suspect more what is meant by your headline of 'Toyota deceiving customers'

Wasn't from the Daily Mail was it? ;)
Last edited by JDS on Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: clarity

Podger

Post by Podger » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:05 pm

[quote=JDS]Ouch!! That sounds pretty horrific.

Not sure on bike regs, but car ones have really tight recall paths through VOSA in the UK. Not as tight as the NTSA? stuff in the US though.

I think that any dealer/manufacturer ignoring safety critical issues is going to have a bad time if the worst happens. On the other hand, something as simple as the lastest software/firmware reflash of an ECU to cure a known, but unobtrusive and benign, issue, is I suspect more what is meant by your headline of 'Toyota deceiving customers'

Wasn't from the Daily Mail was it? ;) [/quote]

It was pretty horrific and No ' Sunday Times' today and it was a lot, lot more than ECU's

JDS

Post by JDS » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Do you have a linky? That works that is