The truth about upgrades...

Keep in touch with fellow enthusiasts.
Mr_Shaggy
Reactions:

I've owned most Elise based derivatives and with the exception to Ohlins, Pagid pads and braided hoses never really fallen for the whole upgrade thing.

As a bit of a guide to others I thought it might not be a bad idea for folks who have 'upgraded' various parts on their cars to give their honest opinion on the real life benefits all in one place here. Example; in the last 12 years and 10+ cars I've never had a problem with a radiator but read it's a must upgrade!?

So, have you fallen for the hype on here and other sites, or wouldn't you be without certain components?
FlyingExige
Reactions:

Wouldn't be without the 300 horses!!
Mr Pesky
Reactions:

Still on the original radiator - 12 years/102K miles & Honda SC.

Brake pads/dampers are a must do upgrade imho whether using on road or track, as they greatly enhance the (safe) driving experience.
jfk
Reactions:

If I've got one overwhelming observation over many years of tatting ,I'd say that most manufacturers over engineer their production cars by about 30% ..
Go beyond that however and it gets exponentially expensive .
.... anyhow, the most noticeable change on my car was switching intercoolers dramatic change that was ...
Burstner/Ducato Motorhome
pete757
Reactions:

[quote=jfk]
.... anyhow, the most noticeable change on my car was switching intercoolers dramatic change that was ... [/quote]

Really mate? You could actually feel a difference? ;)
jfk
Reactions:

Don't know if you're jesting my Australian aviator buddy ,but, yes .. swapping the ic was very dramatic on my car.
jonnyfox
Reactions:

Ohlins are very important :cool: good call and a game changer. Weight removal affordable where we can such like a full 2Bular system will do just that and make a car more responsive, so a no brainer. JSR's recommendation on the KAAZ gear set was pure gold. A brake upgrade IMO inc 4 Pots, braided hoses, SRF, PF pads is also right up there. Listening to SC owners tell you how much more BHP they have over each other pre gear box explosion :tired: and how they can pull away from you on a straight costs nothing but drives us NA owners to get one over any chance we get on track, that costs nothing :D. But the Rad never went in 4 years of TDs prior to its change, the sump was a case of just in case to a Gpan and I've been revving my engine to 9k with a stock head for 2 years and I still (one for Tim) hit the limiter every now and then......

But that's just me buddy......
Last edited by jonnyfox on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Took out the bad language, oops ;-)
R300
jfk
Reactions:

Shall we all fit rearview mirrors then J/F incase you approach us from the rear on the hangar straight ?
Brakes ?? On a N/A ??
Where would these be needed ?
;-)
jonnyfox
Reactions:

[quote=jfk]Shall we all fit rearview mirrors then J/F incase you approach us from the rear on the hangar straight ?
Brakes ?? On a N/A ??
Where would these be needed ?
;-) [/quote]

Pink it up buddy :grin:
R300
Mr_Shaggy
Reactions:

I'd like to replace the factory upgraded adjustable Bilstein fitted currently and missed out on Junks last set. :mad: Is it really worth the extra for the 46mm Ohlins over the standard? Probably do 5/6 trackdays next year.