How's the grease getting out?!

Honda, Audi, Duratec engined variants
Muu

Re: How's the grease getting out?!

Post by Muu » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:23 pm

I don't imagine the lotus use case of sitting for weeks on end in one static position also helps

IDG

Post by IDG » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:12 am

Muu wrote:I don't imagine the lotus use case of sitting for weeks on end in one static position also helps
Hmm, good point

TarmacTerrorist

Post by TarmacTerrorist » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:30 am

Can't see that myself, perhaps if it were laid up for 2-3 years of going though winter/summer/winter/summer etc but not in a couple of months...

I always thought it was the shorter n/s shaft that was the main problem on the Honda conversions?

IDG

Post by IDG » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:39 am

Shorter = less heat dissipation?

Benja

Post by Benja » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:51 am

I was always thought it was due to loading on that side of the car due to clockwise circuits and therefore typically more fast sustained right handers - Donny and Anglesey for example...

TarmacTerrorist

Post by TarmacTerrorist » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:22 am

If the gear box outlet port for the driveshaft and the hub input port are out of alignment, the shorter the shaft is, the steeper the angle to each other is going to be. Not a lot you can do about the n/side as it's pretty much fixed as the drive shaft runs directly to the hub. The o/side however is a double jointed shaft which has a bearing carrier to support it. The distance from the bearing carrier to the hub will dtermine the angle it runs at.

Is it not possible to get a custom bearing carrier and driveshaft made that moves the carrier further over towards the gearbox thus extending the length of the shaft form the carrier to the hub and resulting in a less severe angle?

Muu

Post by Muu » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:50 am

TarmacTerrorist wrote:If the gear box outlet port for the driveshaft and the hub input port are out of alignment, the shorter the shaft is, the steeper the angle to each other is going to be. Not a lot you can do about the n/side as it's pretty much fixed as the drive shaft runs directly to the hub. The o/side however is a double jointed shaft which has a bearing carrier to support it. The distance from the bearing carrier to the hub will dtermine the angle it runs at.

Is it not possible to get a custom bearing carrier and driveshaft made that moves the carrier further over towards the gearbox thus extending the length of the shaft form the carrier to the hub and resulting in a less severe angle?
N/S to O/S the shafts are within 10mm of each other.

It's mainly because the diff centre line is just too far forward, angles are too steep, and this means more heat is generated per articulation of the joint. Chassis legs and subframe being the limiting factor in how far back you can get the drivetrain.

I'm going to look at fabricating some alloy scoops that bolt to the bottom of the lower rear wishbones to funnel some of the air under the car up and into the rear hub assembly. Lowering the temps all around that area can only help.

Like these, but metal:

JDS

Post by JDS » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:43 pm

We had to do something similar in the past. Depending on what sort of space you have and what undertray you have, there may be enough space to fit a NACA duct on top of the undertray and run some pipework along the rear wishbone arm, out to the C/V's/wheel bearings/brakes. Much less chance of tearing them off or flattening them, than a duct poking out the bottom.

Will see if I can find a picture or two.

Muu

Post by Muu » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:31 am

yeah some photos would be cool, cheers john

some air back there can't hurt

Muu

Post by Muu » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:39 pm

yeah so had a look tonight, and while you could cut a NACA into the tray and duct along a lower wishbone it'd be a pain when you dropped the trays

A naca to feed the inners would be a decent idea though