VHPD spark plugs

Topics relating to the Lotus Exige S1 (series 1)
winthattt
Reactions:

I just got my S1 back with verniers fitted and a fully mapped Emerald ECU. It is a different car, no smells, pulls from 2k, idles etc. It made 188 bhp on his dyno which is probably as good as an otherwise standard VHPD can manage.

Tuner thinks the Champion spark plugs I have fitted are rubbish and recommends NGK IRIDIUM. I think, before it was remapped, it went better on the Champion ones than the Ngk R that were installed.

It looks like the correct iridium ones are BPR7EIX. Does anyone have any informed recommendations?
JDS
Reactions:

Always go with what the guy mapping suggests. They may not be the best, personal preference, its Friday, etc but guarantee they will have mapped/seen more than anyone on here will have done.

That number does seem to ring a bell, but the easiest way is to take one out that's currently fitted.
thommo
Reactions:

winthattt wrote:I just got my S1 back with verniers fitted and a fully mapped Emerald ECU. It is a different car, no smells, pulls from 2k, idles etc.
Sounds boring to me! :shock: :D
tlracer
Reactions:

BPR7EIX is the correct NGK plug. Denso equivalent is IK22, which I've used and found to be very good.
Evoman
Reactions:

winthattt wrote:I just got my S1 back with verniers fitted and a fully mapped Emerald ECU. It is a different car, no smells, pulls from 2k, idles etc. It made 188 bhp on his dyno which is probably as good as an otherwise standard VHPD can manage.

Tuner thinks the Champion spark plugs I have fitted are rubbish and recommends NGK IRIDIUM. I think, before it was remapped, it went better on the Champion ones than the Ngk R that were installed.

It looks like the correct iridium ones are BPR7EIX. Does anyone have any informed recommendations?
Hi Winthatt,

I'm curious who the tuner was that recommended this spark plug? I've had my car looked at recently and the garage reckoned the iridium spark plugs were incorrect. Interesting... I really would like to learn who this tuner was so I can have a chat with them. I want my car to run the best it can and these engines do seem a little fickle.

Cheers!
Azrael
Reactions:

Hi Winthatt,

The standard plugs are BKR7E (iridium version is BKR7EIX) which show as having a 16mm hex but the BPRs you've been recommnded are a 21mm hex, otherwise both have the same 14mm thread and 19mm reach. Would a 21mm spark plug socket even fit down the hole?

Whichever you end up using, and even though all the gaps are supposedly preset now, check them before fitting.
winthattt
Reactions:

I did fit some Iridium plugs to my car and they fit and work. Can't remember the exact part number. It was mapped with Champion (new) plugs fitted and he recommended changing them to a better quality plug. I think he said the Champion plugs were poor rather than recommend a make. When I switched over to them the car was even better pulling from low revs. It has little torque down low (by design) but is less inclined to stumble. With the std Lotus ECU and 190 update I rated my car as bloomin dangerous as it would bog down at junctions etc. When we nearly had an event with my young son in the car it was the last straw. Emerald, Verniers and remapping followed.

My car was mapped by "Kevin" at Autotech in Ripley Derbyshire. I spent 15 years of my life running a company that designed engine controllers so I am a minor expert. It was obvious to me that Kevin knows his stuff and has a good dyno. He also makes his own ECU though I had an Emerald already. We discussed the pros and cons of a 68332 and 167 micro at length and how he does the crank timing. He is a qualified EE. In short, I rate him and his judgement.

Hope that helps.I had used Champion for years in Minis, MGs and my Elise. I think the Iridiums make the car run better.
Evoman
Reactions:

winthattt wrote:I did fit some Iridium plugs to my car and they fit and work. Can't remember the exact part number. It was mapped with Champion (new) plugs fitted and he recommended changing them to a better quality plug. I think he said the Champion plugs were poor rather than recommend a make. When I switched over to them the car was even better pulling from low revs. It has little torque down low (by design) but is less inclined to stumble. With the std Lotus ECU and 190 update I rated my car as bloomin dangerous as it would bog down at junctions etc. When we nearly had an event with my young son in the car it was the last straw. Emerald, Verniers and remapping followed.

My car was mapped by "Kevin" at Autotech in Ripley Derbyshire. I spent 15 years of my life running a company that designed engine controllers so I am a minor expert. It was obvious to me that Kevin knows his stuff and has a good dyno. He also makes his own ECU though I had an Emerald already. We discussed the pros and cons of a 68332 and 167 micro at length and how he does the crank timing. He is a qualified EE. In short, I rate him and his judgement.

Hope that helps.I had used Champion for years in Minis, MGs and my Elise. I think the Iridiums make the car run better.
Interesting to hear about your Exige, they do appear to be quite fickle little machines don't they. I must admit mine has always felt really responsive and sharp low down. A big contrast to the another car that I test drove. Mine had iridium plugs in it and I was told these were the wrong heat range for the engine so they have been replaced. I'm not convinced however and from hearing your experience it seems they can work quite well.

I'll see if I can get my old plugs back and try them again instead I think!
Fluffy
Reactions:

I'm using NGK Iridium BKR7EIX without any issues.
Evoman
Reactions:

Another vote for NKG BKR7EIX Iridium plugs - fitted today along with a new NGK lambda sensor from Elise Parts and the car is back to rude health 8-)
In fact it is bonkers quick, it's just ridiculous, it's ballistic ! :crazy: