VHPD Engine inspection

Topics relating to the Lotus Exige S1 (series 1)
winthattt
Reactions:

No attempt here to do a JonnyFox style build but this may be of interest. I have a spare engine for my S1 Exige and there are (thankfully) no signs that the car needs it nor do I do enough miles to wear the one on the car out. However, it sits as a donor and I'd like to see what state it is in should I ever have to use it or more likely take parts from it. I have never done anything more than a head change on an old MGB before so it should be an interesting project. Obviously, any useful comments will be appreciated and I'm only going to put this on Exiges. Goal is to understand the state of the engine and decide what to do. Anybody who is going to fit and engine like this will want to check it over before fitting so it's a useful exercise if I ever sell it with or without the car as I will know what, if anything needs to be replaced.

I've also found an engine builder, literally 500m from my house who rebuilds/balances and flows classic F1 engines, so this could take another expensive path.

Engine is supposed to be a low mileage engine but you can't be sure, they are pushing 20 years old and I can't know what has happened to it in the past. It's been in my garage for years with lots of anti-corrosion spray in the bores and valves and turned over from time to time.

Pictures show it's an MS2 head and has S502 (serial number?) punched into the block and the head on the exhaust side and 12635 (serial number?) on the cam carrier and head and 0.0 17 and 29.8 CC on the inlet side of the head. I assume they are something to do with the volume of the head chambers.

Some pictures to make a start (next post)

Engine in the cradle, possible future home behind it.
winthattt
Reactions:

Engine in cradle with new host behind (if ever needed)

Inlet side stamps

Exhaust side stamps

It's an MS2

andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

I will be following this with interest. I might have a 2zz but I love automotive stuff.
winthattt
Reactions:

Work rate will depend on how cold it gets in the garage and when I get the inclination. First step is to remove anything that is not part of the basic engine and then to flip it over to take a look at the inside bottom of the engine and see if there is anything nasty in the there. I also want to get the plastic cam covers off to see if anything has ever been modified (verniers - I can hope).
winthattt
Reactions:

andybond wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:06 pm
I will be following this with interest. I might have a 2zz but I love automotive stuff.
I'm sure a VHPD is a much more simple prospect!

Keith
jonnyfox
Reactions:

Good stuff Keith
R300
series_one
Reactions:

Cool. Great project!

Nice garage cupboards 😎

Interested to hear more about the F1 engine guy too :)
Fonzey
Reactions:

This should be a good read, looking forward to it!
winthattt
Reactions:

series_one wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:27 am
Cool. Great project!

Nice garage cupboards 😎

Interested to hear more about the F1 engine guy too :)
This is the engine guy.

http://www.whitehurstracing.com

I’ve seen some nice stuff in his drive, Blower Bentley style but not one. I’ve not made contact yet as I’m sure it will get expensive.

See the gallery for some nice looking engines and cars.
thommo
Reactions:

That’s amazing. On all fronts.
First, the fact that your spare is on an engine stand while mine sits on a pallet. I’ve not even dared to check out the stampings in case it’s not a real VHPD.
Second, the fact that 500 m away lives a man who is clearly well versed in internal combustion engines. I well remember Reg Parnell and Alan Smith engines of Derby.
I will follow this with great interest. Thanks, Keith
Last edited by thommo on Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.