Replacement Schroth Harness

Topics relating to the Lotus Exige S1 (series 1)
thommo
Reactions:

Went for a run out in the sunshine yesterday and stopped for fuel . . . pressed harness release button and it fell apart in my hand leaving me facing the prospect of limbo dancing out of the three points still attached while lined up for a tankful of
V-Power.
A bit of fiddling released the remaining belts but now need a replacement. A bit taken aback by the price as early research found nothing cheaper than £350!
johnfishcurtis
Reactions:

Fit the passenger side harness to the driver, that will get you going.
Then just use a seatbelt for the passenger till you can get another/new set.
Fonzey
Reactions:

johnfishcurtis wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:28 am Fit the passenger side harness to the driver, that will get you going.
Unless its sided, some harnesses can only go in one side of the car.
deggles
Reactions:

They do seem to have shot up in price recently! I replaced mine in 2017 - similar problem with one of the buckles starting to crack, and the adjusters were all stiff. Not worth cutting corners or going second hand on safety stuff so I took the plunge and replaced the lot with a special-order silver set, just under £420 all-in for the pair from:
https://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/product/ ... m-harness/

Sorry that doesn't really help, they are nearer £350 each now! The non-FE ones (twist rather than push-button release) are cheaper but they're less MoT friendly. Not an issue if you have standard belts fitted as well.

Gratuitous pic of mine: :D
tlracer
Reactions:

Fonzey wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:46 am
johnfishcurtis wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:28 am Fit the passenger side harness to the driver, that will get you going.
These are - the ASM shoulder belt is on either left or right, depending on whether it's the driver's or passenger's harness. And, of course, the release is on the inner lap belt so also left or right.
Fonzey
Reactions:

tlracer wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:27 pm
Fonzey wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:46 am
These are - the ASM shoulder belt is on either left or right, depending on whether it's the driver's or passenger's harness. And, of course, the release is on the inner lap belt so also left or right.
Yep that's what I was thinking, though my instruction book contradicts itself on that topic. It claims that ASM belts are *no longer* 'sided' (suggesting the design has changed) and can be used either way, but then later says that the yellow tag must always be on the inboard shoulder. I'm pretty sure those two pieces of advice are mutually exclusive...

To be safe I'll follow the good old fashioned approach of keeping the tag on the inboard shoulder. I did see a post on FB quite recently of an S2 that had TWO yellow tags on the driver seat, one on each shoulder... god knows how that happened but I shudder to think of the implications to that in a big head on shunt. :|
thommo
Reactions:

Thanks everyone . . . found one at £330 (every little helps, especially when the wine bill has been high of late :oops: ) so best get it ordered
seriouslylotus
Reactions:

thommo wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:41 am Went for a run out in the sunshine yesterday and stopped for fuel . . . pressed harness release button and it fell apart in my hand leaving me facing the prospect of limbo dancing out of the three points still attached while lined up for a tankful of
V-Power.
A bit of fiddling released the remaining belts but now need a replacement. A bit taken aback by the price as early research found nothing cheaper than £350!
Should have given me a call!!!!!!
thommo
Reactions:

Not bought yet. I'll ring you tomorrow. :D
TarmacTerrorist
Reactions:

Re. ASM belts being sided.

They are only sided when you use both a passenger and drivers harness together . The yellow 'break free' tabs are placed inboard so that during a accident that is forceful enough for them to 'break free' the drivers and passengers heads both rotate outboard away from each other.

Using a single harness on the drivers seat and a 3 point in the pax can hav e the yellow tag inboard or out.