Exige S2 with added supercharger

This is where we proud owners can upload information and pictures of our pride-and-joys (their Exige that is..)
andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

I took my car upto Jonny at https://www.performance-autocare.co.uk/ on Saturday. Its fantastic he is open Saturdays as I am often losing money taking the car to a garage as I am a contractor and it also meant I got to spend some time with Wife Bond!

Rear discs , pads and fluid was changed out ( Motul RBF 660 ) but not the supercharger belt. Reason being is Jonny spotted the bottom pulley bolt was almost out! Its no wonder the belt was squeaking, the pulley was walking side to side! This has been corrected now.

I drove the car back home and it feels super smooth now, but I have managed to pick up some scoring on both front pads which is a bit frustrating.

Very happy with the car!
andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

I have had a new driveway laid this week and a metric shitload of dust made it into the garage.

Few pics ;

Out if the front window
ImageImage

Dusty as .
ImageImageImage

Post clean
Fonzey
Reactions:

Driveway looks quality!
andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

I am very happy with the result!
andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

Something isnt quite right on my nearside front pad. After a short while I get a clack , clack , clack sound. I can only assume its the pad touching the disk and the vanes. If I press the brake ever so slightly it goes, then returns 30 seconds later.
Braking feels fine, nothing is pulling to the left or right.

Ill whip off* the front wheel tomorrow and disassemble the caliper / pad and look for any abnormalities.

* no whipping at the car is low and I have to drive up onto some wooden blocks to be able to get my low jack under ...
Fonzey
Reactions:

Fairly common I think, not sure if the caliper tolerances are slightly off for the quoted pad size or what but I've had pads from various manufacturers clack around like that across both my Lotus'. It seems like the disc rotation is able to lift the pads up slightly, then they drop down, rise up, repeat. If you can replicate it easily by slowly going back and forth on your drive then that's probably it.

You can get anti-rattle buffer pads to put on the slider plates within the calipers (think EP does them at least) but I find they don't stand up to heat and hard use very well. Generally I find the pads eventually seat themselves home with enough clugged up brake dust etc :mrgreen:
andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

Fonzey wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:03 pm Fairly common I think, not sure if the caliper tolerances are slightly off for the quoted pad size or what but I've had pads from various manufacturers clack around like that across both my Lotus'. It seems like the disc rotation is able to lift the pads up slightly, then they drop down, rise up, repeat. If you can replicate it easily by slowly going back and forth on your drive then that's probably it.

You can get anti-rattle buffer pads to put on the slider plates within the calipers (think EP does them at least) but I find they don't stand up to heat and hard use very well. Generally I find the pads eventually seat themselves home with enough clugged up brake dust etc :mrgreen:
I am with you on the rise and fall. I need to whip off the wheel just to validate. Weird how it only happens on one wheel and after a trackday.
Fonzey
Reactions:

Yeah I struggle to put a pattern to it, it's definitely worse after I give the calipers a good clean and fit fresh pads then they seem to settle in a bit. I assume dust and road grot just pads them out a bit!

Also try gently bending the clip spring thing so that it exerts more force onto the pads, maybe that relaxes a bit when it gets hot?
andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

Fonzey wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:17 pm Y

bending the clip spring thing
Yeah, I have a habit of just bending stuff that little bit too far and it goes snap v :eh: :lolno:
Fonzey
Reactions:

I've got spares, go nuts ;)