2006 Exige S

This is where we proud owners can upload information and pictures of our pride-and-joys (their Exige that is..)
Fonzey
Reactions:

Nitron episode concluded within less than 30 hours of noticing the missing o-rings. That's how to look after customers!
andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

No bonus sweets though.
Fonzey
Reactions:

andybond wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:09 pm
No bonus sweets though.
I'm going to try some of that bearing grease later, will let you know how it tastes
Elahrairah
Reactions:

Fonzey wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:11 pm
andybond wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:09 pm
No bonus sweets though.
I'm going to try some of that bearing grease later, will let you know how it tastes
Lol.. Great work from Nitron.. Wish all companies looked after you like this.
ade
Reactions:

The Hornet wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:55 am
Ohh I hope not... yes.. there are many stories on the 260 map... but I don't think it allows for charge cooling ?

Best of luck with finding a dyno quickly, so you can enjoy croft !
Adding charge cooling will never give you more power as the map has not changed, but, you will not lose power due to excessive charge temps. Also, there is a slim chance you might see some extra power with a reduction in parasitic loses as the charge cooler may flow better than the standard intercooler, but it will be marginal. My car saw quite a midrange increase in torque, but it was remapped as well to gain from the efficiencies provided by the charge cooler.

Adding a CC will not give you any running issues on the 260 map
Fonzey
Reactions:

ade wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:25 pm
The Hornet wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:55 am
Ohh I hope not... yes.. there are many stories on the 260 map... but I don't think it allows for charge cooling ?

Best of luck with finding a dyno quickly, so you can enjoy croft !
Adding charge cooling will never give you more power as the map has not changed, but, you will not lose power due to excessive charge temps. Also, there is a slim chance you might see some extra power with a reduction in parasitic loses as the charge cooler may flow better than the standard intercooler, but it will be marginal. My car saw quite a midrange increase in torque, but it was remapped as well to gain from the efficiencies provided by the charge cooler
That backs up what I saw when mine was dyno'd compared to a stock 260 car - loads more midrange even without a map but no change to headline figure.
Fonzey
Reactions:

Thanks to the weather turn around this weekend I got some miles on the car and managed to form a few more opinions on the exhaust.

First up I tweaked my front ride heights up a bit, for reference I was running approx. 125mm rear and 115mm front previously which is now around 120mm front and 128mm rear. That will change slightly once it goes back on the scales, but providing my next few days/weeks of testing goes OK I'll request that the front goes no lower.

The first drive out was just a tentative clunk/rattle check to the shops and back. The exhaust isn't any louder, predictably as the backbox remained unchanged but it does have a few more burbles and is a bit 'poppy', some of that may tame down a bit once it cokes up a bit but I don't expect it'll be blowing any dB meters which is a relief.

On the way home I gave it some beans and the car felt... well a bit flat to be honest. I wasn't too concerned, ECU I'm sure had some adapting to do and I always planned to get an ECU/map sorted soon anyway but it was worth noting nonetheless.

I was up early (5am) Sunday to meet some friends over in the Peak District, they had a route planned out which I would join them for at the start, then once we got to the most Eastern point I would peel off and head back home. Good opportunity to bed everything in and get a feel for the car after the tweaks.

The drive over was good, enjoying the subtle changes to the soundtrack of the car and navigate safely through the morning fog.

I started to get a move on once I got into the National Park as the roads just encouraged it and the car started to feel very sprightly indeed. It was no longer feeling flat, but it was really picking up more towards the top end. Mid range torque felt similar, but just as power started to trail off a bit before it seemed to get a bit more of a push. Despite some quite dramatic undulations and mid/high speed turns there was no evidence of wheel arch slaughter either, so the morning was going well.

Four banger cars were heavily outnumbered when we met up in Bosley and I had been warned about driving closely behind the Zenos (stone chips) or let it get too close up behind me (woeful brakes) so I clung on the best I could to the nearest V6 :lol:

I won't pretend to know what route we took, I just kept following people but we ended up in Hope Valley SW of Sheffield before I finally peeled off.

I don't drive my car anywhere close to at capacity when on the road, but I paid close attention to the ride quality and characteristics of the car when pushing on a bit. The bumpsteer I complained of a few posts ago didn't feel anywhere near as bad - perhaps the added 5mm of ride height made some difference, or perhaps the roads were just different and I wasn't feeling so sensitive towards it after a 5am start... :roll:

Car came back with some nice things ticked off:

- Exhaust didn't fall off
- New ride height feels good
- Felt pretty quick, getting a bit of a fuzzy feeling thinking about how quick this could be with a map on it.

Some things still to work on:

- Brakes still vibrating a bit when giving them some hoof. I've never struggled to bed in a set of pads like this before, but will keep trying - so far their performance outweighs the fact they vibrate a bit.
- AC still being a bit intermittent. When it's on, it's icy cold - so I'm fairly sure the AC circuit itself is fine, but I've noticed that the fans are constantly blowing warm when switched on - wonder if the heat blend flap thing is jammed which I believe is accessible with the clam on, just. Alternatively I'll check the wiring behind the switch panel, there's a remote chance I suppose that the temp knob isn't even plugged in :lol:
andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

Good write up @Fonzey

Can you give me a shout next time you venture out? Would be good to say hello.

I also have the hot flap thing. I am not sure its able to get accessed via the access panels. I think it is on the elise though ..

EDIT : 1000th post!
Fonzey
Reactions:

andybond wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:46 am
Good write up @Fonzey

Can you give me a shout next time you venture out? Would be good to say hello.

I also have the hot flap thing. I am not sure its able to get accessed via the access panels. I think it is on the elise though ..

EDIT : 1000th post!
Will do Andy, was a bit impromptu for me this one - the "peak district" gang were discussing it late on Saturday and I just said I'd be there if I could wake up in time... which I did, just. Let's get something organised locally in the meantime :thumbup:

Yes you could be right about the Elise being more accessible. The AC theory that I can best come up with for now is that AC is working 'fine' but as designed it doesn't remain on at all times, it rather cycles on and off to maintain temperature. When mine is on an "on" cycle, it overpowers the warm air from the heater matrix and cools me down nicely, but as soon as it cycles off the warm air hits me, seemingly the same temp whether the dial is set to 'full blue' or 'full red'.

I've blatantly disturbed something with my charge cooler install, so hope it's just something silly/electrical. I believe the flap does default to the warm position (for emergency defrosting etc).
andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

You are correct - flap is warm unless you tell it otherwise. Its prone to sticking in that position ..