2006 Exige S

This is where we proud owners can upload information and pictures of our pride-and-joys (their Exige that is..)
andybond
Site Admin

I shall be following your results with the large ITG with interest
ade

I always think they look weird with no rear wing at all
thommo

Great result, Kyle. Best I can offer in the car fettling department this week is: two cars washed . . . :roll:
Exige S1 No: 139
MrP80

Great to see it all back together, really great job you've done over the winter :thumbup: Really good to see everyones cars coming back together
lotuslee

Looking really good Kyle and pleased its all working as it should.
Not sure on your brake bleeding tool, i used to use a pressure bleeder but now i use this type and it works perfectly jhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183393128594

Just open each nipple and pull the fluid through no fuss and no mess.
Fonzey

Cheers all, really happy to be at this point with it now. Hopefully a year of fun stuff now, like cleaning it... oh, and driving it.
lotuslee wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:00 pm Looking really good Kyle and pleased its all working as it should.
Not sure on your brake bleeding tool, i used to use a pressure bleeder but now i use this type and it works perfectly jhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183393128594

Cheers Lee, I'm currently using a sealey bleeder - works fine for me usually - just if I fully drain the 2pot calipers I always end up with air on the inboard side (as the crossover pipe is at the bottom, there's a pocket where you just can't bleed it even with pressure). Eventually by inverting the caliper a few times and giving it a good shake you can get it all out... just to date I've failed to do it in a single sitting!
andybond
Site Admin

Fonzey wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:19 pm Cheers all, really happy to be at this point with it now. Hopefully a year of fun stuff now, like cleaning it... oh, and driving it.
lotuslee wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:00 pm Looking really good Kyle and pleased its all working as it should.

Cheers Lee, I'm currently using a sealey bleeder - works fine for me usually - just if I fully drain the 2pot calipers I always end up with air on the inboard side (as the crossover pipe is at the bottom, there's a pocket where you just can't bleed it even with pressure). Eventually by inverting the caliper a few times and giving it a good shake you can get it all out... just to date I've failed to do it in a single sitting!
We could meet in a public location to go for a walk and assist in an accidental bleed..
Fonzey

MOT day! Spoiler alert, it failed.

I had the car booked in for 9am, there's a tyre shop which I use a lot just over the road who also have some laser tracking gear so I'd arranged to get my front toe corrected there before the MOT.

It was really good to get the car out on the road, but it drove terribly with my eyeballed front toe. Lovely day to be crabbing around the road though :lol:

For the record my eyeball toe was 2deg in on one side and 1.5deg in on the other... I expected worse! They trued it up for me and the car felt so, so much nicer. Onto the MOT bay and I soon got a failure for fast idle emissions.

It wasn't even close either, limit for CO was 0.2% and I scored 1.53% on the first attempt and 1.14% on the second... yikes. (lambda read 0.96 and minimal acceptable is 0.97).

This is the first MOT I've had done with the 2bular sports cat fitted, it's supposed to be MOT-safe but who knows. The other factor is the ecu/map, specifically the parts of the map that I've been playing with (butchering) to smooth my idle out a bit. I was datalogging whilst the car was being tested and I could see them holding ~2.6k RPM for the fast idle test with 7% throttle.

What I can see from the logs is that my lambda reading matches that of the MOT readout, and it was hitting 0.96 lambda. Ideally it should be close to 1.0 here, and lower numbers = richer, so that would explain things a bit.

I've not really touched fuelling as part of my idle tuning, but I did mess around with ignition advance a bit, specifically I was backing it off loads just 'above' the RPM range for acceptable idle. This had the desired effect of letting my idle drop nice and smoothly, as originally it hung a little bit just outside of the range where idle speed control would kick in. Luckily I have all the tools at my disposal to replicate the test in my garage, and gauge results - so I'm fairly confident I can get it close to target before going for a retest.

The drive home was OK, few observations from the gearbox/clutch setup:

- Usability is just like OEM, pedal bite point a little higher than before but I'm already used to it.

- When applying throttle there's no notable extra noise from the 3rd/4th gears. SSC warn you that they're a bit louder than OEM but you can't hear it whilst accelerating, on the overrun there's a slight "wooo" noise, not quite a whine - but easily liveable for a road car, I think they sound cool.

- The gearbox has a slight rattle on the overrun regardless of gears. I'm not overly concerned about this because my Elise used to do it a lot too. Rattle is probably the wrong word, but I tweaked a lot of it out with my Elise by rearranging gear cables and stuff like that -so maybe something I've just not put back exactly right on the rebuild. Bit of sponge here and there and I'm fairly confident it'll be fine. Either that or the Diff I bought is a duff and will fail spectacularly any day now....

- When giving it some gas, the shorter ratio of the FD is certainly noticeable compared to before but still very road biased. I think if you'd never driven one before, you'd never know - it feels great, but there's certainly an added punch in the midrange... at least until...

- I'm getting some WOT misfires. Checked the logs and can't see anything obvious, no EML code etc. Might just be fouled up plugs particularly if my idle is running rich, and I had no working lambda sensor at all for the weeks leading up to SORN which meant the ECU was over correcting and throwing fuel at it anyway... I'll give the plugs a clean out and try again, or at very least will go log some proper "pulls" so I can make sure things are happy, perhaps adding the mahoosive filter needs a bit of a map tweak too.

- Brakes still need another bleed, but they're road worthy at least (and an MOT pass!). I'll get round to it.
andybond
Site Admin

To get around the issue for now could you create a MOT map and then revert?
Fonzey

andybond wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:00 pm To get around the issue for now could you create a MOT map and then revert?
Yep that's the plan, just need some base maps from VW I guess? :lol: