Lee's Exige

This is where we proud owners can upload information and pictures of our pride-and-joys (their Exige that is..)
andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

andyzim wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:17 am Is that part no.18 on this diagram?

Screw, M5 x 15, skt, cap hd., filler neck to clamshel

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TB ... =dash&SC=0
That the one.
lotuslee
Reactions:

andybond wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:27 am @LotusLee if you find a cheap source of those bolts can you let me know. They were something daft like £10+vat last time I looked.
Andy ping me your address and i will send you some, they are 5mmx20mm 👍
lotuslee
Reactions:

Fonzey wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:32 am Always a nice start to the project when the drill has to come out :mrgreen:

Is the surround/ring stuck on with anything other than the bolts? I had my bolts out a while ago but the ring stayed in place, had no reason to remove it so didn't try particularly hard - but does it just need a bit of brute force to pop off?
They get stuck, and sometimes can be quite stubborn, this one came off ok once the bolts came out but a trick is to use some fishing wire.
Fonzey
Reactions:

lotuslee wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:02 pm
Fonzey wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:32 am Always a nice start to the project when the drill has to come out :mrgreen:

Is the surround/ring stuck on with anything other than the bolts? I had my bolts out a while ago but the ring stayed in place, had no reason to remove it so didn't try particularly hard - but does it just need a bit of brute force to pop off?
They get stuck, and sometimes can be quite stubborn, this one came off ok once the bolts came out but a trick is to use some fishing wire.
The old debadging trick :thumbup: Will give a try whenever I next have an excuse to take it off...
lotuslee
Reactions:

Well it is in full swing now and looking rather naked, the rear clam was a pain to get off with many rusy fastners and bolts. There are 2 in particular that required special treatment and will need new bobins fitted into the fibre glass and bonded in.

Getting the body off just reveals how rusty, gruby and tired a 10 year old Lotus can be. But i have rebuilt far worse.

Its not all bad though thanks to Max888 my new pro alloy cold air intake turned up.

Fonzey
Reactions:

Excellent, plenty of grot to have a go at in there!

I've never had the rear clam off either of my Lotus but considering it this winter for when gearbox comes off. Not required to remove the box' obviously but would be nice to have access to some of those bits and do some routine maintenance.

Only problem is storing the bloody things! I'm paranoid about tripping over them when they're sat on the garage floor :?
lotuslee
Reactions:

Small update, made these for the front suspension shock top mounts out of a nice piece of alloy shaft, it will be months to i need them but had time to kill while at my dad's 🤣🤣🤣
ade
Reactions:

lotuslee wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:43 pm
What ramp is that? I need one in my life!
lotuslee
Reactions:

The Ramp is Strongman Tamar around £1200 and the best purchuse ive made. It will lift the car 1.2M which is ideal working height.

Also got this lift at my Dads up the road which is a life saver too.

lotuslee
Reactions:

In a earlier post i said i had trouble getting the real clam off due to 2 seized bolts. They just started turning the bobbins that a bonded into the fibreglass.

Using a burr to remove the old bobbin leaves a hole

Using a 8mm stainless washer and 6mm nut welded together for a new bobbin.

Bonding the new bobbins in with fibreglass mat and filler

While the clam was getting the bobbins replaced I rubbed down the boot prop bracket and fitted stainless bolts and washers

Finally i got the exhaust off, again im sure its never been off since new, cut, grind and fight on with all of the bolts, not one came off as it should 👿