Lee's Exige

This is where we proud owners can upload information and pictures of our pride-and-joys (their Exige that is..)
lotuslee
Reactions:

Little bit of progress today, managed to drain the radiator and brake fluid, pretty straightforward. Also got one side of the rear suspension stripped i am getting a growing parts list by the day 😧

Fonzey
Reactions:

Good progress :thumbup:
thommo
Reactions:

👍👍👍👍👍
lotuslee
Reactions:

Pretty straightforward to remove the subframe, getting this cleaned up and looking new again will really transform the build.

The chassis to subframe mounting points are in pretty good condition too, this is always a worrying area as the chassis can corrode quite badly.

All of the engine bay brackets, engine mounts, and sùpports are now at the shot blasters.

The gearbox will now be checked for any potential issues and the casing cleaned.

lotuslee
Reactions:

While the gearbox is out i will replace the clutch, I believe its on the original clutch and only a fraction worn but id be silly to put it back in. The original is stamped up TRD AE10 but very difficult to find the same clutch type.
If anyone can shed any light on the correct clutch i would be most grateful.

Fonzey
Reactions:

Looks good Lee, I seem to recall that Lotus changed something with the Toyota subframe union so corrosion was less likely, I know it could be a bit of a scary deal on the older cars and the VX's though. Seen a VX where the wheelbase of the car had actually stretched due to the corrosion pushing the subframe away from the chassis :mrgreen:

That Clutch looks like the OEM TRD one. Seems in good nick if it's the original one :thumbup:
lotuslee
Reactions:

Fonzey wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:23 pm That Clutch looks like the OEM TRD one. Seems in good nick if it's the original one :thumbup:
Not sure to re use it or not ? Not very worn
Fonzey
Reactions:

I'd change it, purely because it would be sods law for it to start slipping a few months down the line. Considering the effort of dropping the gearbox once your clam is all back into place etc - it's probably worth it for 'cheap' insurance.

I'll be swapping mine out over winter, and it's barely got 20k miles on it... almost certainly will be throwing away a perfectly good clutch. Could always turn it into a clock I guess :lol:
lotuslee
Reactions:

A rather big box of Engine bay related bolts, handy having a friend who owns a bolt company.

lotuslee
Reactions:

Something I have been wanting to do for a while now, a custom flat-bottomed steering wheel. This allows me to keep the airbag and making entering and exiting so much easier. I ran the car once i had done the modification for a few weeks before i got it trimmed to see how it worked and i loved it. Basically a whole new part of the lower wheel is alloy welded on and then re-trimmed quite a bit of work but worth it.