2004 Exige S2...

This is where we proud owners can upload information and pictures of our pride-and-joys (their Exige that is..)
The Hornet
Reactions:

yeah agreed fully... that's what I have it for.. car has done just over 50K now.. so I don't think there are oil temp issues.. or not from what I do with the car...
seriouslylotus
Reactions:

Fonzey wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:52 am I take my oil temp from the sump so it reads even cooler. There's a lot of chit-chat on the American forums about the Lotus twin coolers overcooling the oil in our cars, some people attributing that to the intake cam lobe wear (though I think the fact this happens to uncooled Elises' etc debunks that...).

The oil cooler system on these cars has a thermostatic control on the oil flow. So doubt very much the oil is over cooled.
The second radiator is fitted so that for the cars most likely to be used hard there is sufficient ceiling height in the cooling system to not over heat the oil
What im actually saying is the car wont necessarily use the whole oil cooing capacity available, unless it needs too
When a laminova is installed a new take off plate without the thermostat should also be fitted,
Fonzey
Reactions:

Yup my understanding was always that the coolers were thermostatically controlled - it's mainly the 'Mericans that thing these overcool but their argument is that it's not a total open/shut thermostat and that it's always open a little bit to keep the oil flowing round and to stop big/sudden temp drops when the thermostat opens fully.
ade
Reactions:

The only downside of using a laminova is, you put the heat from the oil into the coolant circuit which for most times is a good thing, until the car is hot on track on a hot day and the air going over your charge cooler rad is also hot, can you see where I'm going here?
All this can add up to everything being hot, I was amazed when I added the gearbox cooler laminova in, suddenly I went from 90 water temps on track to 95
I still had twin oil coolers as well, I never had an oil temp gauge in the car but borrowed an infrared one on a track day and after a long session on a hot day my oil rads were both ~100
All I'm saying is just be wary of loading the water circuit when all your trying to remove is the fact the current oil coolers are doing too good a job
Fonzey
Reactions:

ade wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:21 am The only downside of using a laminova is, you put the heat from the oil into the coolant circuit which for most times is a good thing, until the car is hot on track on a hot day and the air going over your charge cooler rad is also hot, can you see where I'm going here?
All this can add up to everything being hot, I was amazed when I added the gearbox cooler laminova in, suddenly I went from 90 water temps on track to 95
I still had twin oil coolers as well, I never had an oil temp gauge in the car but borrowed an infrared one on a track day and after a long session on a hot day my oil rads were both ~100
All I'm saying is just be wary of loading the water circuit when all your trying to remove is the fact the current oil coolers are doing too good a job
Wise words, and this is ultimately why I left the air coolers alone. I was already adding a CC rad so the water temps were to become a bit of an unknown.
The Hornet
Reactions:

On with my updates - mid 2019, I thought I has a slipping belt somewhere, as there was a slight screaming sound from the engine bay.. however, it seemed only to do it with clutch pedal depressed... bugger - it was the clutch release bearing... so.. as the gearbox had to come out, I decide to change the clutch anyway as you do.. so in went a TRD clutch, Lightened flywheel (as it would have been rude not to) and some sexy ARP flywheel bolts. It was also a good time of course to change the gearbox oil.

Whilst the car was there, I decided to alter its appearance inside and out...

So reverie side skirts, carbon sill covers and black section at the back to match the latest cars..
The Hornet
Reactions:

a cool picture of the car as it is now from the outside... but I hadn't finished with planned updates..

The Hornet
Reactions:

as a result of the picture, I did replace the rear numberplate....
andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

Looking good! I am tempted to get a S and supercharged sticker for mine but I think Ill keep to the stealth look ( well as much as I can )
The Hornet
Reactions:

So.. I had pre-probax seats that were comfortable, and no major issue with them...

But then these seemed available... :shock: