S2 NA + Mods

This is where we proud owners can upload information and pictures of our pride-and-joys (their Exige that is..)
johnfishcurtis
Reactions:

:?

matt447
Reactions:

I ordered mine from Driftworks.com - cost about £500 all together :)

Front:
Japan Racing - JR Wheels JR3 16x7 ET40 4x100/114.3 Bronze

Rear:
Japan Racing - JR Wheels JR3 17x8 ET35 4x100/114.3 Bronze

Do keep in mind that I ended up with a 16mm spacer on both fronts. I expected using somewhere around 10mm to get the offset back correct, but actually ended up with 16mm to make the spokes clear the brake caliper on the front! I fitted 205 section front tyres (AD08R) and it drives fantastic on road and track. Not noticing any adverse effects from the slight change of front offset :)
matt447
Reactions:

Went to a rather sunny Donington GP day yesterday!

The car was running really really well - someone asked me about my supercharger... pah! :lolno: and someone else said that my Honda swap sounded awesome as it went past them... Both looked shocked when I said it was just the good old 2ZZ NA :)

Anyway, the car went so well that it actually stopped stopping... I'm pretty sure I boiled my brake fluid. The pedal felt like it went a tiny bit further on the way down to the Melbourne Hairpin, then basically went with very little resistance right down to the bottom when I went to slowdown for Goddards so I got it round the corner somehow and drove into the pit lane with very little braking effect... I've always been late and heavy on the brakes, but I'm *assuming* it's just because my RBF660 fluid needs flushing?... I checked the fluid and it said there was around 1% water in it, so I'll change it anyway, but I was surprised it happened... This was after hammering it for around 20 laps. I just have the standard brake setup with Pagid RS14s
The Hornet
Reactions:

Donny is hard on brakes - in a previous life, the brakes on my Talbot Sunbeam road saloon racer were smoking due to overheating after a 20 min qualifying session there
Fonzey
Reactions:

Good stuff, 20 laps of Donny is a good stint so I reckon most braking setups would have something to say about that! Is it fair to say you got some pedal back after it all cooled down a bit?
matt447
Reactions:

Another picture from the day...
matt447
Reactions:

Fonzey wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:10 am Good stuff, 20 laps of Donny is a good stint so I reckon most braking setups would have something to say about that! Is it fair to say you got some pedal back after it all cooled down a bit?
Oh, okay - I thought it was maybe failing a bit prematurely - good to know it's not considered terribly unusual... I might try to reduce my tendency towards so much heavy braking, but those RS14 pads work so well, it's a shame not to exercise them fully, lol...

Yes, I let it cool down and the brakes worked just fine again - but I started to not trust them (understandably) so ended the day a bit slower than I would've liked... :/ I'll get the fluid changed and see how I go again :)

Every time I go on a track day now, I'm just thinking "Gah! A close ratio gearbox would be SO goooooood!!!" :cry:
Fonzey
Reactions:

Yeah I'm not really speaking from experience as I get car sick way before 20 laps of Donny :lol: My brakes are generally still with me at the end of my sessions (I have RS14 and ATE200 fluid) but I probably manage 20mins at the most.
matt447
Reactions:

Fonzey wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:29 am Yeah I'm not really speaking from experience as I get car sick way before 20 laps of Donny :lol: My brakes are generally still with me at the end of my sessions (I have RS14 and ATE200 fluid) but I probably manage 20mins at the most.
It was the full GP circuit, which seems quite tough on the car versus the National circuit, so I'm not terribly surprised, I suppose... It's between 1m55 and 2m per lap (for me at least, lol!) on that layout, so I'd been out for quite a while - just really trying to give my engine a thorough shakedown after all the gremlins I've had to fix with it since the dealers made a hash of it... I usually do much shorter stints, so I don't suppose it would normally be an issue, but it was just so much fun! Engine temperature didn't even go over 87 degrees! (until I stopped in the pits where it crept up past 94c)