Snap Off Removeable Sterring Wheel Hub

<Archived> Even supercars have their flaws..
stevegreen
Reactions:

Was messing about with this today and thought that it would not come off without being unlocked first...however, it would! It appears that the sprung loaded locking bolt may be jammed - does anyone how much should it should protrude when locked? Even better if anyone has a pic?
tim_marra
Reactions:

I don't quite understand your explanation.....

I have the removable wheel & could post a couple of pics tomorrow. What is it you want to see exactly?

Tim.
stevegreen
Reactions:

thanks...if you take the steering wheel off, turn it over and photograph the inside of the hub. There should be 3 protrusions, two are the sliding release catches and the third is the locking bolt. Its the length of the locking bolt in its locked position that I am interested in.
tim_marra
Reactions:

Ok, i'll get it posted today.

Tim.
tim_marra
Reactions:

Steve, is this what you're after?
[image]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b318/ ... C00836.jpg[/image]

The brass locking pin projects just 3mm throught the inside face, so with a small amount of wear it would be useless.

Mine aint spring loaded though, you must have the improved version

Tim.

If the pic is not correct let me know & i'll try again.
stevegreen
Reactions:

Tim

perfect thanks.

I'll post a picture of mine later. The pin is steel not brass and is partly chamfered on the edge. I'm wondering now whether its not working because it has rotated a bit and the chamfered edge is now aligning with the hub in the locked position?
tim_marra
Reactions:

I've never considered the locking pin to be a anti theft device, its just too flimsy on its own (with the other pins released). I think of it as a last line of defense should the wheel somehow become released accidently (& there's almost no chance of that ).

If the roofs off & I can't take the wheel with me it gets locked in the boot (a reasonable option on a 111R).

Tim.
stevegreen
Reactions:

[image]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d121/ ... C04754.jpg[/image]

Photo of mine for comparison - anyone got the steel rather than brass locking pin?
IDG
Reactions:

Isn't the steel one part of a lock actually on the hub? I think Turner has one.

The brass one is a seperate little lock that simply drops through a hole.

Ian
stevegreen
Reactions:

Isn't the steel one part of a lock actually on the hub? I think Turner has one.
Yes, it cannot be removed and sits proud of the outside of the hub by about one inch