Exige S RGB #138 - a journey towards perfection, well hopefully

This is where we proud owners can upload information and pictures of our pride-and-joys (their Exige that is..)
Lankan
Reactions:

Per my earlier thread introducing myself and RGB #138 that I am now looking to take delivery from Jon Seal in the next few weeks, here are some more details on the car.

Photographs of the car are still shown on the Pistonheads advert: https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... d/10509512

At present #138 is having some TLC and also getting some upgrades that it should have had before leaving the factory. Below is a breakdown of the work that will be carried out by Jon to get #138 back to its best.

Full Suspension Refresh:
Strip all suspension components, shot blast/powder coat, and reassemble with new bushes/track rod ends/ball joints/hub packs/toe links. Rustproof non-aluminium parts.

New/Replacement Parts:
Aluminium Radiator, AC Condensor, Stainless Steel Tow Post, TRD Airbox & Filter, Hand Brake Cable (A120J0039F), Brake Pads, Engine Mount Inserts, Central Locking Module (A132M0118F).

Major Service:
Filters: Engine Oil Filter & Fuel Filter
Oil & Fluids: Engine Oil, Gearbox Oil (Red Line MT-90), Brake Fluid
Spark Plugs
Drive/Supercharger Belt (B128E6008F).

Dampers:
Ohlins 2-way Adjustable Dampers (factory option)

LSD:
Quaife ATB Differential (opted for this since I have it on another car, and due to its longevity and lifetime warranty).

Suspension stripdown began a few weeks ago - no pitting, but looks rather manky:

Wishbones and ARB (not pictured) are back after being shot blasted and powder coated - no pitting so good smooth finish:

During assembly (only some photographs have been posted):

#138 is now mobile, with the old Bilsteins installed, until we get the new Ohlins, which caused a bit of a delay as they had to be shipped from Germany, and then re-valved and have the correct spring rates set by Mick Gardner Racing. However, these are expected to be delivered this week.

Front clam will be coming off next week to have a look in there and address any issues that may be lurking underneath, such as having a new aluminium radiator, AC condenser, and stainless steel tow post.

That is it for update #1. Looks like I will get to drive #138 before the summer is out...can't wait!
2010 Exige S RGB #138
andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

Night and day with the resto.

Would be curious to note the difference between the OEM diff and the Quaife diff
Lankan
Reactions:

andybond wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:07 pm

Would be curious to note the difference between the OEM diff and the Quaife diff
The Quaife is an active torque biasing (or torque-sensing) LSD, which I already have installed on another car. It helps prevent the inside wheel, or the wheel that has lost traction, from spinning by transferring drive to the other wheel. This is especially noticeable when driving on roads with sharp switchbacks, especially in the wet, or on track where similar conditions or directional changes are experienced.

Not sure about this, but I believe the Lotus factory-optioned LSDs that were available for the Exige S2s were the plate (or locking) type, where, sometimes, one can experience lock-ups. This is not something one experiences with the ATBs or Torsen diffs - it is seamless, and one does not really notice any difference except that the loss of traction is far, far less than that experienced with a standard open diff.

The icing on the cake is the lifetime warranty that comes with all Quaife diffs.
Last edited by Lankan on Tue May 26, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 Exige S RGB #138
andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

I have had a quaife - on my c63. I found it unobtrusive and fit for purpose.

I wonder what the lock % is comparing the c64 LSD and the Quaife unit. Be interesting to drive back to back. I never found my LSD in my exige snappy TBH or too fast to lock
Lankan
Reactions:

Does your Exige have the OEM Lotus LSD or an aftermarket unit? If so, what type is it?

Torsen types don't have a set lock %, which is why they are unobtrusive.
2010 Exige S RGB #138
andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

My exige is a c64 optioned with a LSD from factory.

I thought even the torsen had a torque bias ratio , or effectively locking ratio?
Lankan
Reactions:

andybond wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:52 pm
My exige is a c64 optioned with a LSD from factory.

I thought even the torsen had a torque bias ratio , or effectively locking ratio?
To my knowledge there is no locking that occurs in a torque-sensing diff, and the torque-split (bias) and cannot be preset, as one can do with plate-type diffs. If I remember correctly my 993RS had a plate type diff with a 40% locking factor under load, and 60% or 65% under deceleration.
Last edited by Lankan on Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 Exige S RGB #138
Fonzey
Reactions:

Welcome to the forum, suspension refurbs are probably one of the more satisfying jobs you can do on these cars!

Hopefully the car meets your expectations when you (finally) collect it :mrgreen: I'm sure it will!
seriouslylotus
Reactions:

andybond wrote:

Depends on the OEM type fitted.
Lotus offered a plate diff in the Exige 190 but a torsen diff in the supercharged cars
andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

seriouslylotus wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:34 am
andybond wrote:

Depends on the OEM type fitted.
Lotus offered a plate diff in the Exige 190 but a torsen diff in the supercharged cars
That is why I like you Dave! Fountain of knowledge!