Exige S RGB #138 - a journey towards perfection, well hopefully

This is where we proud owners can upload information and pictures of our pride-and-joys (their Exige that is..)
Fonzey
Reactions:

Lankan wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:20 pm
Fonzey wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:16 pm
Lankan wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:13 pm

Yeah, and the day of reckoning is drawing closer....but still waiting for the Quaife ATB diff.
Yes you should probably try to get it driven before Winter and/or another pandemic lockdown arrives :lol:

Any temptation to do anything else with the gearbox while it's at? Uprated 3rd/4th for example?
The gearbox/shift is all good, or so I am told, so no plans on upgrading just yet, but doing the engine mount inserts and filling the gearbox with Red Line MT-90 as part of the major service.

I will get used to #138 first, and then see where else I wish to take it further...
Yes sensible plan. I'm intending for a diff (probably this winter if nothing else comes up) and it's going to be a bit of a task to resist the temptation to future proof other areas whilst I'm at it.... but that approach gets very expensive very quickly.
Lankan
Reactions:

Quaife ATB Helical Differential (QDF21E/23DG) has now been delivered. It's getting there, one step at a time....

If interested, technical details of this unit can be found here: https://shop.quaife.co.uk/lotus-elise-e ... fferential

2010 Exige S RGB #138
The_Wizard
Reactions:

Great stuff, you will have a lovely car when this is finished. It got my attention when we were both looking for our purchases!

Lee
Lankan
Reactions:

The_Wizard wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:54 pm
Great stuff, you will have a lovely car when this is finished. It got my attention when we were both looking for our purchases!

Lee
Thanks. Yes, I cannot wait to get my hands on #138 but need to make sure everything is done right.

Dulan
2010 Exige S RGB #138
Lankan
Reactions:

Progress on #138 did slow down a fraction due to one reason or another, such as the new Ohlins fronts being shorter than they should be :wtf:, so back to Mick Gardner Racing they went, and now waiting for the fronts to be rebuilt and shipped back to Jon Seal (note that the Bilstein damper is not from #138 but only used to illustrate the issue).

In the meantime, Jon got on with the 'front clam off' refresh that included new radiator, AC condenser, stainless steel tow post, and a good clean of the crash structure. The brackets holding the driving lights were removed and powder coated for good measure.

WARNING: Now it gets really dirty - the rusty suspension seems a long-forgotten memory! :o

Soon after front clam was removed:

After rusty tow post and driving lights were taken off:

AC condenser and Radiator (old vs new):

After initial clean and new replacement AC condenser and radiator fitted:
The oil cooler link pipe has been zip-tied to the crash structure to avoid it bouncing off the undertray when the 3M sticky pads eventually do fail.

So, now I have a bit of a dilemma......looks like the 10-year-old exhaust heatshield is beyond its sell-by date.

Items 4, 5, 6 & 30 need to be replaced if the job is to be done properly:

If one is to go OEM, then item 4 is £421.63, 5 & 6 are £74.24 each, whilst 30 is no longer available (all prices are ex-VAT).

Research suggests that Nimbus Heat Shield would be a good alternative due its thermal characteristics, but one needs to purchase a sheet and then mould/fabricate it to the required shape. EliseParts appear to stock it: https://www.eliseparts.com/shop/engine- ... at-shield/

What is the general consensus on how one should tackle this? Any pointers/ideas will be hugely appreciated...
Last edited by Lankan on Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2010 Exige S RGB #138
Fonzey
Reactions:

I would bin off 5 and 6 even if they were mint - probably one of the biggest source of rattles on these cars when present. I've wrapped the 'U bend part of the cat pipe there with DEI to replace it (I'd certainly put SOMETHING on it, as it's very close to the rear clam and tyre).

30 is dead easy to replicate, I'm sure Jon could template one off another car he has in stock in minutes - only needs rear OS wheel off to remove it.

As for the bigger pieces, I got lucky and mine was almost mint- and it gets a coat of zinc primer every time I get the opportunity to hopefully keep it that way - but it's not an overly complex shape. I think you could easily make one up using your current piece as a template.

Shame you missed out on this, looks (marginally) better nick than yours: https://classifieds.seloc.org/ads/s2-ex ... at-shield/
Lankan
Reactions:

Fonzey wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:31 pm
I would bin off 5 and 6 even if they were mint - probably one of the biggest source of rattles on these cars when present. I've wrapped the 'U bend part of the cat pipe there with DEI to replace it (I'd certainly put SOMETHING on it, as it's very close to the rear clam and tyre).

30 is dead easy to replicate, I'm sure Jon could template one off another car he has in stock in minutes - only needs rear OS wheel off to remove it.

As for the bigger pieces, I got lucky and mine was almost mint- and it gets a coat of zinc primer every time I get the opportunity to hopefully keep it that way - but it's not an overly complex shape. I think you could easily make one up using your current piece as a template.

Shame you missed out on this, looks (marginally) better nick than yours: https://classifieds.seloc.org/ads/s2-ex ... at-shield/
Excellent, thank you for your feedback - most appreciated.

Indeed, I realise that the exhaust is within striking distance of many vulnerable areas, including the battery, NS rear wheel, and bodywork. Seeing a photograph of items 4, 5 and 30 certainly helps - note that I haven't been up close and personal with an Exige S yet, so this is a hugely educational experience, but not my first such endeavour.

Learnt everything that one needs to know about the following (Renault 5 Maxi Turbo, a Group B rally car) and bought a half-built project, so I am up for the challenge:
2010 Exige S RGB #138
andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

Whoah. Incredible. If you fancy documenting the maxi build on here or turboRenault.co.uk ( where we have some proper Renault beards ) that would be all kinds of awesome.
tlracer
Reactions:

Renault 5 Maxi Turbo - fantastic car!

Before my Exige I had a Clio V6, so I guess the 5 Maxi was its grandfather :thumbup:
thommo
Reactions:

Great write-up and great progress :thumbup: