Exige S RGB #138 - a journey towards perfection, well hopefully

This is where we proud owners can upload information and pictures of our pride-and-joys (their Exige that is..)
Lankan
Reactions:

andybond wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:15 pm
Whoah. Incredible. If you fancy documenting the maxi build on here or turboRenault.co.uk ( where we have some proper Renault beards ) that would be all kinds of awesome.
Indeed Andy, it is a cracking piece of kit, the epitome of old school, which is where my preference lie. However, this project was started, but has been shelved for a while now, and will not restart until this COVID-19 situation blows over and we know for certain how things pan out after Brexit. The level of expense and commitment for a project like this is not insignificant since it is a ground-up build of a tarmac rally car that can actually compete.

I think the most appropriate place to post progress on that project would be turboRenault.co.uk, so I will sign up there when it kicks off again.
tlracer wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:22 am
Renault 5 Maxi Turbo - fantastic car!

Before my Exige I had a Clio V6, so I guess the 5 Maxi was its grandfather :thumbup:
Small world! I also have a Clio V6 255, well a couple actually, and what cracking cars they are, and the likes of we will never see again as it will be too costly to build. Renault lost money on each one they built, and they don't appear to have the same financial muscle that they had in the 1990's and early 2000's.

Indeed the Clio V6 is the spiritual descendent of the R5 Turbo, on which the Maxi Turbo, and a few other race/rally cars, are based. Was yours a Phase 1 or Phase 2 (255)? Were you a member of the Clio V6 Owners Club (v6Clio.net)?
2010 Exige S RGB #138
tlracer
Reactions:

I had a phase 1 - "interesting" to drive :lol:
Lankan
Reactions:

tlracer wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:22 pm
I had a phase 1 - "interesting" to drive :lol:
Ah, yes, they certainly are, and rather 'entertaining' at that... :D
2010 Exige S RGB #138
andybond
Site Admin
Reactions:

@Lankan part 5 has become available - https://classifieds.seloc.org/ads/exige ... brand-new/
Fonzey
Reactions:

Owwwwwww much?!
Lankan
Reactions:

andybond wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:57 pm
@Lankan part 5 has become available - https://classifieds.seloc.org/ads/exige ... brand-new/
Thank you. Will check it out.
2010 Exige S RGB #138
Fonzey
Reactions:

I was under my car again tonight and took note that the large piece that surrounds the entire backbox/cat area is actually several simple shapes riveted together. Would be so easy to replicate repair panels out of nimbus for it - its usually the parts near the toe links that go first, would be very simple to mock up some replacements for those.... might be a small business opportunity for somebody who could be arsed :lol:
Lankan
Reactions:

Fonzey wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:24 pm
I was under my car again tonight and took note that the large piece that surrounds the entire backbox/cat area is actually several simple shapes riveted together. Would be so easy to replicate repair panels out of nimbus for it - its usually the parts near the toe links that go first, would be very simple to mock up some replacements for those.... might be a small business opportunity for somebody who could be arsed :lol:
Yeah, those are my thoughts too, so the plan is to replace items 5 & 6 and leave 4 as-is for the moment as it just does not justify the price of £420-430 ex-VAT!

Have you seen or know of anyone who has done a comparison of the thermal characteristics between Nimbus and the OEM heat shields? I also found a SELOC TechWiki that recommends using a combination of Nimbus GII and Cirrus GIIIx since they have slightly different characteristics.

"A good way of getting rid of this (potential) problem is to replace the OE heatshield with a mixture of Nimbus GII and Cirrus GIIIx heatshield material."

Have you looked into using Cirrus GIIIx?
2010 Exige S RGB #138
Fonzey
Reactions:

I've not done anything so scientific - but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that any modern material easily beats the OEM stuff used by Lotus.
Lankan
Reactions:

Fonzey wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:40 pm
I've not done anything so scientific - but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that any modern material easily beats the OEM stuff used by Lotus.
Understood, and agree that the latest materials are likely to be much more efficient. I have read that OEM material used actually degrades and crumbles into small fragments!

On a more positive note managed to order items 5 & 6 (shields for the U bend pipe) from Bell & Colville for £180 including delivery to Yorkshire (Jon's premises) - order placed last night and delivery will be made tomorrow, and this is using standard delivery. Pretty good price and service I thought.
2010 Exige S RGB #138